Do You Have a Question?


Here are our most frequently asked questions. We hope you find an answer.
If you still have questions, please call us at (615) 824-9851

Q. I’m active duty. Am I eligible for membership in the VFW?

A. Whether you’re active-duty or retired from the military, you are eligible to join if you meet our eligibility requirements.

Q. Can the VFW assist me with my VA claim?

A. Yes. VFW Service Officers are trained professionals, skilled in navigating the complex VA claims process and helping veterans to recover billions in VA benefits and compensation each year. Whether you’re just preparing to file a claim or considering filing an appeal to your disability rating, find a VFW Service Officer in your area to get the assistance you’ve earned – free of charge. And you don’t have to be a member to take advantage of this service.


Q. How Do I Make a Donation to the VFW Post 9851?

A. There are several ways you can donate to the VFW Post 9851 to help America’s local veterans. You can donate online via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or via PayPal, or in the form of cash, check or money order by mailing your donation directly to:


Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
Post 9851
73 New Shackle Island Rd.
Hendersonville, TN 37075


We also offer a monthly, quarterly, biannual or annual donation program and electronic fund transfer (EFT). For more information on any of these options, please contact our Donor Services Department by email or phone at: (615) 824-6976.


Q. What programs and services does the VFW provide?

A. Since its founding in 1899, the VFW has enacted many programs and services geared to meet the current needs of America’s service members, veterans and military families, as well to meet community needs worldwide. VA claims assistance, legislative advocacy, troop support programs, youth activities, community service, and scholarship are a few of the ways we work to give back to those who’ve given so much for all of us.


Q. How do I get copies of my military records, such as a DD-214?

A. You can contact the National Personnel Records Center at 314-801-0800 or via its website. In addition to providing copies of military records, they are able to update records to correct errors or reflect awards that may have been issued retroactively.



Below are examples of options for obtaining a DD-214.


Q. I am not a veteran of foreign conflict, but I have a family member who is. Can I join the VFW based on their service?

A. You must be a veteran who has honorably served overseas in an area of foreign conflict in order to join the VFW. However, if you are not eligible for VFW membership but are the parent, grandparent, spouse, sibling, child or grandchild of a qualifying veteran, you can apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. Visit the VFW Auxiliary website or call (615) 824-6976 for more information or click here to learn more about VFW membership.


Q. I served in Korea before the Korea Defense Service Medal was established in 2004. How can I verify that service?

A. You can contact the National Personnel Records Center and they will be able to issue a DD-215 showing receipt of the Korea Defense Service Medal. In the meantime, any sort of travel orders or military documentation showing your service in Korea for at least 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days will suffice as proof of eligibility for VFW membership.

If you still have questions, please call us at (615) 824-9851 or click here to email us via our Contact form.